NEMS (Noise Exposure Management System)
Effective noise management is critical to reducing the risks of Noise Induced Hearing Loss associated with long-term exposure to noise and to assess compliance with the Control of Noise at Work Regulations. Noise management is particularly important for the offshore industry where there is major equipment operating in a confined environment, but can equally be applied in other sectors.
What is NEMS?
Bureau Veritas’ NEMS (Noise Exposure Management System) has been specifically developed to simplify the assessment process and to form the cornerstone of comprehensive noise management. NEMS is developed and offered exclusively by Bureau Veritas. It is a comprehensive management system used widely across the oil and gas industry both onshore and offshore. It provides a systematic approach to noise management and provides consistency; ease of use and effective comparability in determining noise risk across the industry.
The system also provides recording facilities for the assessment of ongoing compliance and illustrates the commitment to reducing noise exposure. The results of the assessment can be used to quantify Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in relation to noise exposure risk.
NEMS provides a powerful tool for managing risk and enables the following calculation of personnel’s noise exposure levels;
- Identification of trades requiring health surveillance / noise awareness training
- Identification of areas / tasks making the greatest contribution to noise exposure
- Targeted work practice reviews to identify organisational controls to reduce personnel exposures
- Targeted noise control studies to identify technical / engineering control measures to reduce exposures as low as reasonably practicable
- Determination of the effectiveness of noise control measures to optimise cost-effective risk reduction
- Provision of indicators and recording facilities for assessment of ongoing compliance
- Assistance in the formulation of a noise action plan
Furthermore, noise management auditing, undertaken as part of the NEMS survey, identifies the key actions required to achieve compliance with the Regulations. These actions are incorporated into an embedded noise action plan to demonstrate compliance and effective noise management.
Why Choose Bureau Veritas
The Acoustics & Vibration Group is a UK specialist team in Bureau Veritas and operates as part of a wider global team of acousticians. Our team of experienced consultants are all members of the Institute of Acoustics (IoA) and offer specialist noise and vibration consultancy to a wide range of clients.
We pride ourselves on our customer focus, and are able to bring experience from a wide range of sectors, to help our clients achieve compliance with legislation and best practice