Fire Risk Assessment
Improve building safety and maintain compliance with fire risk assessment and safety regulations
Our comprehensive fire risk assessments are essential for complying with fire safety regulations. Improve your building safety and rest assured that you are adhering to your legal obligations and keeping your employees and visitors as safe as possible.
With more than 190 years of experience, we’re a world leader in testing, inspecting and certification, and our thorough fire assessments are no exception. We provide trusted fire safety inspections on any building type such as residential building, educational buildings, industrial buildings and more.
Fire risk assessment & fire safety services
A fire risk assessment is about understanding the potential risks and improving your fire safety precautions. When responsible for a building project, it is imperative to ensure the safety of people in the workplace as well as visitors. It is your legal duty to reduce the risk of fire to keep people safe in the workplace. This can be ensured by completing a fire risk assessment.
How we carry out fire risk assessments
A fire risk consultant will carry out a fire risk assessment taking into account the risk to persons in the building. The risk assessment will identify the hazards and provide a clear breakdown of the remedial action required to resolve the issue as well as advising on practices and management issues.
As such, assessments are conducted in five key steps:
- Identify the fire hazards.
- Identify people at risk.
- Evaluate, remove or reduce the risks.
- Record findings, prepare an emergency plan and provide training.
- Review and update the fire risk assessment regularly.
Our assessor will assess and review the entire site to identify any fire hazards or risks. They will review and assess then record any findings and advise on fire prevention. We will identify people at risk, as well as evaluate, remove, or reduce the risks. The risk assessor can also prepare emergency plans and provide training to all employees, helping to update and reviewing fire risk assessment regularly. We can prevent the loss of life and the cost of damage to property, business and maintain business continuity.
Fire assessment legislation & fire safety regulations
A fire risk assessment should be carried out on all types of buildings (excluding domestic residential property) to ensure compliance in England and Wales with The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 , in Scotland with The Fire Safety Regulations 2006 (Scotland) and Northern Ireland with The Fire Safety Regulations 2010 (Northern Ireland).
The onus is on the responsible person or duty holder for the business – which could be the employer or self-employed person, the person responsible for all or part of a building which is solely for business purposes, or a contractor with a degree of control over the premises for life safety.
Whilst awareness of workplace health and safety is on the increase, too many organisations are still not aware of their legislative obligations – which is why many turn to a third party partner such as Bureau Veritas to support them in achieving and maintaining compliance.
WHAT IS INVOLVED In A Fire risk assessment?
Fire safety systems are designed to help protect people and property. It is essential to have a management fire policy in place, supported by a thorough maintenance and inspection programme, to mitigate the risk and prevent loss of life or assets in the event of fire breaking out.
A fire risk assessment covers a range of areas including:
- Fire detection and warning system
- Means of escape
- Provision of fire-fighting equipment
- Planning for an emergency and training
- Fire risk factors and people at risk
- Maintenance and testing of fire safety equipment
What are the BENEFITS of A Fire risk assessment?
- Improve safety within your buildings
- Achieve and maintain compliance with fire safety regulations
- Reduce the risk of litigation
WHY BUREAU VERITAS?
- Highly experienced and qualified nationwide team of over 60 fire safety experts
- Third party accreditation from UKAS to undertake fire risk assessments in any type of building
- Trusted experts, undertaking in excess of 20,000 fire risk assessments annually across more than 6,000 properties
- Global expertise, local support
- Access to a full range of testing, inspection and certification services from Bureau Veritas experts