Lifting equipment inspections & Testing (LOLER)
Under the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER), employers and those responsible for the operation of lifting equipment have a legal duty to ensure that the equipment is safe to use and properly maintained. The regulations cover various aspects related to lifting equipment, including its design, construction, installation, examination, testing, and safe operation. Bureau Veritas work with you to ensure LOLER compliance.
What does a LOLER inspection include?
- Thorough Examination: In service lifting equipment must undergo regular thorough examinations by competent individuals. The frequency of these examinations depends on the type of equipment, its usage, and other factors, but typically it is either 6 or 12 months and anything used for lifting people must be inspected every 6 months
- Safe Working Load (SWL): Lifting equipment must have a clearly marked Safe Working Load, indicating the maximum weight it is designed to lift safely
- Training and Competence: Operators of lifting equipment must be adequately trained and competent to use the equipment safely
- Planning and Supervision: Lifting operations must be properly planned and supervised to ensure safety
- Maintenance and Repairs: Lifting equipment should be well-maintained, and any defects or faults must be addressed promptly
- Records: Detailed records of thorough examinations, maintenance, and testing must be kept and made available for inspection
The LOLER regulations aim to reduce the risk of accidents and injuries associated with lifting operations and equipment, promoting workplace safety and compliance with best practices.
BENEFITS of choosing Bureau veritas for your lifting equipment inspections
- As a UKAS 17020 accredited Type A inspection body you can be assured that we are independent and have no association with any repair or maintenance organisations
- Achieve and maintain compliance with LOLER and PUWER, helping to ensure the safety of your lifting equipment
- Experienced team with a comprehensive understanding of the latest regulations
- One supplier to drive efficiency of lifting equipment inspections
- Expert team of qualified engineering surveyors operating nationwide, supported by a central planning team
- Innovative approach to inspections with online tools to add value including Swift, giving 24/7 access to inspection reports
- Mobile plant team of engineer surveyors who specialise in the inspection of ‘on hire’ equipment to support inspections of mobile assets
Chief Mechanical Engineer
It’s fantastic to work for a company that is so well respected all across the world. At Bureau Veritas we invest in our people to make sure they can do the best possible job for their clients. It’s easy to see the difference that makes.
MAIA & Swift - An easy way to manage and control your global inspection process online
As part of our enhanced inspection service – and free for mechanical inspection clients – we offer access to live, accurate and reliable data for all inspection reports using SWIFT, our online reporting system.
Developed in-house by our own team of experts, SWIFT is a web-based portal which gives our safe, secure, 24/7 access to your inspection records, visit reports and equipment lists.