Air Quality Monitoring & Management
Bureau Veritas is a recognised leader in the field of air quality monitoring and consultancy. We provide a range of consultancy services including air quality monitoring, environmental impact assessments and expert services for clients in both the public and private sectors. We have over 20 experienced air quality consultants working on a variety of projects across the UK and Internationally.
Air Quality Consultants
Poor air quality affects the health and wellbeing of people, as well as having a significant impact on the natural world. Within the UK, air pollution is the largest environmental risk to the public’s health, contributing to more than 36,000 deaths a year in the UK and costing the UK economy an estimated £20 billion a year.
Our team of qualified consultants will provide services to clients to ensure compliance with their emissions (to air) permits, deliver assessments for planning permissions, provide advice on air quality mitigation and management as well as supporting the delivery of national and international air quality management programmes. We are here to deliver your air quality compliance needs.
Air quality management
At Bureau Veritas we support clients with their local authority statutory air quality compliance requirements (LAQM) and support public authorities with expert advice, monitoring and air pollution alert services. We also provide national and state level air quality expert services, webservices such as air quality help-desks , guidance development and provide expert analysis tools such as the Emission Factor Toolkit (EFT). Services we provide include
- Local Air Quality Management (LAQM) services including Air Quality Action Plansaction plans
- Clean Air Zone (CAZ) feasibility studies and Clean Air Strategies
- Management of Air Quality Networks including the UK national air quality monitoring network (AURN)
- Policy and Technical Guidance development (i.e. LAQM.TG and LAQM.PG)
air quality Planning and permitting
We provide expert consultancy support to clients requiring permits and/or planning permissions with regard to Air Quality Odour and Lighting. We have in-house experts that provide advice, assessments and reports to regulatory bodies to ensure compliance and delivery to required standards. We have experts in monitoring, detailed modelling, EIAs, engagement with regulators and policy who can support clients in delivering development applications. We assess and produce Environmental Permits (air) across a variety of sectors including Food, Industrial, Data Centres and Commercial sectors. Services we provide include:
- Air Quality Assessments for planning applications, Habitat Regulation Assessments (HRAs) and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs)
- Permitting services for industrial and commercial applications
- Health Impact Assessments and Impact Pathway Assessments
- Odour Assessments, lighting and indoor air quality consultancy
- Construction and demolition monitoring services and management plans
AIR QUALITY MONITORING SERVICES
As experts in air quality monitoring having operated the national air quality network (AURN) for the last 25 years, we provide national and local government clients with air quality monitoring services as well as private sector clients. We design, install, manage, disseminate live data and provide reporting for air quality networks at national, city or construction site scales. We provide alert services for local residents and contractors to manage site air emissions as well as providing regional scale air pollution alert services to local authorities to inform and protect the public and vulnerable individuals. Services we provide include:
- Management of Air Quality Networks including the AURN and the UK Urban NO2 Network
- Live air pollution data webservices and alert services
- Industrial complex air quality monitoring
- Air Quality and Odour monitoring surveys for development planning applications
- Construction and demolition monitoring services and management plans
Expert advice and support on air quality
Bureau Veritas provides air quality consultancy expertise to support private sector clients, local authorities and governments on various projects and policy areas. We follow-up the delivery of project assessments and EIAs with expert support though the planning and permit application process to ensure success. We have expert witness consultants who support clients at planning inquiries, planning committees and at pre-app consultations when required. We also provide policy resource and technical expertise through our specialist help desk services such as found at the UK Air Quality Hub. Services we provide include
- National, international and local government advice and support on development projects and independent reviews of major development projects and nationally significant infrastructure projects (NSIPs)
- Expert witness services for planning applications and/or challenges
- Air quality support services to the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) including the operation and management of the LAQM helpdesk
- Research and advice
We provide air quality services to a wide range of sectors including:
- Planning and development
- Oil, gas and nuclear
- National and international agencies
- Infrastructure projects (road, rail, ports, airports)
- Commercial and agricultural
- Carbon Capture Utilisation and Storage (CCUS)
- Local authorities
- National governments and departments
ARE BUREAU VERITAS CERTIFIED AND RECOGNISED AIR QUALITY EXPERTS?
Our team has a range of qualified environmental scientists and air quality scientists with diverse experience in both the public sector and private sector consultancy. Our consultants are registered with professional bodies such as the Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM) and the Institute of Environmental Sciences (IES). We have consultants with over 25 years experience in the field of air quality who have provided expert advice and policy guidance to UK government and NGO bodies such as COMEAP, EPUK and IAQM.
HOW QUICKLY CAN WE MOBILISE AND PRODUCE AN AIR QUALITY ASSESSMENT REPORT?
We have a large team of experienced consultants, so we can be up and running within a week once commissioned. Depending on the scale of a project we can usually turn around a small-scale development or industrial complex report in between four and eight weeks. Deployment of monitoring equipment can also be turned around quickly if requested, as we have in-house monitoring equipment ready to go.
WILL AN ASSESSMENT ADHERE TO LOCAL AND NATIONAL PLANNING OR PERMIT REQUIREMENTS?
All our assessments and reports comply with the local, national or international air quality standards and planning requirements. We review and adhere to local and national guidance and policies, international standards, and relevant best practices for the location and type of project. These include following recognised guidance for environmental impact assessments, monitoring and modelling from, for example, The World Health Organization (WHO), US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), European Union, UK, or the World Bank.
DO WE PROVIDE EXPERT WITNESS SERVICES FOR CHALLENGES OR PLANNING INSPECTIONS?
We support both private sector clients and public authorities on planning committee applications and provide expert witness services such as examinations in public, at DCOs and cross-examinations for a development or a challenge of an application.
WHERE DOes Bureau Veritas WORK?
The Bureau Veritas Air Quality teamwork across the UK and Internationally. This is made possible because majority of our work is desk-based and although we are UK based we work alongside other International Bureau Veritas offices to support clients locally as well as remotely on air quality projects