Life Cycle Assessment
Embracing the growing wave of environmental consciousness and the drive towards a circular economy, understanding the intricacies of a product's journey is paramount. Here at Bureau Veritas, our commitment lies in deciphering the ecological impact and performance across every stage of a product's life cycle.
product LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENTS
With increasing attention on environmental performance and a greater focus on the circular economy, it is important to calculate the environmental impact and performance across every step of a product’s life cycle.
From the extraction of raw materials, through to design, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, use and waste processing, extensive calculations from impartial sustainability experts can determine environmental footprint and support process improvement.
Other benefits include meeting evolving regulations, supporting marketing campaigns, delivering competitive advantage and improving transparency for all.
This process is called a Life Cycle Assessment– and Bureau Veritas has the skills and experience to assess your performance with confidence.
WHY IS A LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT IMPORTANT?
An increasing number of regulations (e.g. Green Deal) require a Life Cycle Assessment. Holistic thinking across the product life cycle is also required for product declarations when tendering in the construction sector and is a key element of ISO 14001 Environmental Management System certification.
Having verified data for every stage of your project lifecycle also supports customer communication, removing the risk of greenwashing.
WHAT DOES A LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT INVOLVE?
A Bureau Veritas Environmental Life Cycle Assessment typically consists of five stages:
- Project scope: Working with the client to establish the goal and define the scope
- Inventory analysis: Using data to map an inventory covering all stages of the life cycle
- Data collection: Classification and quantification of resource use and emissions generated according to potential impacts
- Evaluation: A comprehensive report setting out findings and evaluating any opportunities to reduce negative impacts by changing processes
- Public communication: Supporting clients to promote the environmental performance of their product, e.g. in tender documents and marketing activity.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT?
Different organisations will have different goals when starting a Life Cycle Assessment but the main objective is to quantify environmental impact and performance over a product’s lifecycle.
Key benefits include:
- Establish opportunities to reduce the environmental impact of a product through changes in design, manufacturing or waste processing
- Benchmark the environmental impact of your products against those from other manufacturers
- Support marketing activity to promote green credentials without risk of greenwashing
- Track environmental performance year on year and at every stage of the life cycle
- Improve transparency and confidence for all stakeholders
- Promote circular economy thinking
HOW CAN BUREAU VERITAS SUPPORT?
Our specialist team has experience in delivering Life Cycle Assessments for clients across a wide range of sectors.
We have the skills, regulatory understanding and global network required to deliver assessments with confidence, giving you the insights you need to improve performance and the external verification of data required to meet regulatory requirements. This includes production of a Life Cycle Assessment document or carbon footprint statement.
We also support with verification of Life Cycle Assessments produced internally or by another third party to ISO 14067 or equivalent standard. Our experts will verify the data within the assessment and produce a verified report, providing external assurance from an approved body and global leader in certification services.
WHY CHOOSE BUREAU VERITAS FOR LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENTS?
- Full range of sustainability services including verification of data and certification services
- More than 40 national and international accreditations from relevant bodies worldwide
- A global leader with more than 150,000 active ISO certificates and 7,400+ skilled auditors across the world
GET IN TOUCH WITH A MEMBER OF THE TEAM BY SUBMITTING YOUR DETAILS BELOW: