Any organisation using palm oil in its production processes should take steps to demonstrate sustainability by following the standards set by RSPO certification. Bureau Veritas supports organisations with independent compliance audits.
THE ROUNDTABLE ON RSPO PALM OIL
Palm oil is widely used in food and non-food industries, contributing to the economic development of palm oil producing countries. However, a sharp increase in palm oil plantation areas since the 1990s has put pressure on both the environment and local populations.
Palm oil production has been and continues to be a major cause of deforestation in some of the world's most biodiverse forests, contributing to the destruction of habitats for endangered species including the orangutan, pygmy elephant and Sumatran rhino.
To maintain an adequate supply of palm oil without damaging the living conditions of communities and the biodiversity of ecosystems, non-profit organisation RSPO (The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) established a certification system for sustainable palm oil.
WHAT IS RSPO CERTIFICATION?
RSPO certification is a global certification system for sustainable palm oil. It gives assurance that an organisation has committed to and complied with sustainability requirements relating to the production or handling of palm oil in their products,
To become RSPO certified, organisations are required to demonstrate compliance with the applicable RSPO standards. This includes a comprehensive verification process with annual compliance audits by an accredited third-party certification body such as Bureau Veritas.
WHY IS RSPO CERTIFICATION IMPORTANT?
The RSPO aims to promote the growth and use of sustainable palm oil. Benefits of certification include:
- Demonstrate confidence to customers, consumers and other stakeholders in the sustainability of your palm oil
- Support the establishment of sustainable and transparent palm oil production throughout the supply chain
- Help protect the biodiversity of ecosystems and living conditions of communities in palm oil producing countries
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
The RSPO certification scheme includes three elements:
- RSPO standards, against which certification assessments are made
- Accreditation by a third-party certification body such as Bureau Veritas, which conducts audits to evaluate compliance against the standards
- Process requirements, which is the process for establishing whether or not a set of requirements has been met. This is also carried out by an approved certification body
WHY CHOOSE BUREAU VERITAS FOR RSPO CERTIFICATION?
With an expert team of sustainability and certification specialists, Bureau Veritas is an approved RSPO certification body, accredited by Assurance Services International (ASI) to evaluate compliance and process requirements.
- Benefit from our vast industry knowledge and experience in sustainability performance evaluation
- Have confidence in certification specialists, with more than 40 national and international accreditations from relevant bodies worldwide, more than 150,000 active ISO certificates and 7,400+ skilled auditors across the world
- Gain complete peace of mind from an impartial, independent third-party