ISO 45001 CERTIFICATION
Employers have a responsibility to protect their workers from work-related injury and ill health, but good performance goes beyond legal requirements.
Consumers expect greater social responsibility from businesses and any injury or fatality related to Occupational Health & Safety risks is extremely costly both to the organisation and to society. Integrating an occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) at the heart of business strategy is key to securing public confidence and the international ISO 45001 standard supports organisations of all types and sizes in doing that.
WHAT IS ISO 45001?
As the international management systems standard for occupational health and safety, ISO 45001 provides a framework to improve employee safety, reduce workplace risk and create better, safer working conditions. It replaced the previous OHSAS 18001 standard in 2018.
Adopting the standards creates a management system that proactively prevents injury and ill health at work, underlining an organisation’s commitment to protect employees. It also implements a comprehensive approach to occupational health and safety, or in improving upon an existing OHSMS.
THE BENEFITS OF ISO 45001 CERTIFICATION
Achieving ISO 45001 certification requires proactive steps to improve health and safety management, which in turn delivers a number of benefits to an organisation:
- Manage your health and safety risks to create safe working conditions
- Identify health and safety hazards and risks, and establish processes to control them relevant to your business
- Demonstrate commitment to the health and safety of your employees
- Provide assurance that you are meeting legal requirements related to occupational health and safety
- Reduce down time, insurance premiums, penalties and potential liabilities
- Enhance your reputation through certification to ISO 45001 with Bureau Veritas, an accredited certification body
Is ISO 45001 compulsory?
No, ISO 45001 certification is not mandatory. It is a voluntary standard that organisations can choose to implement and be certified against. However, in some regions and industries, health and safety regulations may require organisations to have an occupational health and safety management system in place, and ISO 45001 provides a framework to meet these requirements.
Why does an organisation need ISO 45001?
Organisations of all sizes may benefit from ISO 45001 certification for a number of reasons including confidence of legal and regulatory compliance, improved health and performance, reduced legal and financial risks, enhanced reputation and better employee engagement.
Which sectors would benefit from ISO 45001 certification?
All organisations have a responsibility to prevent injury and ill health in the workplace, and so ISO 45001 can benefit any business in any sector. It is particularly valuable for those in higher risk industries, such as manufacturing, construction, energy and utilities, mining, transport and logistics.
What did ISO 45001 replace?
ISO 45001 replaced the OHSAS 18001 standard as the international occupational health and safety (OHS) management system standard. OHSAS 18001 was widely used by organisations around the world, but it was not developed or published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
Will ISO 45001 drive competitive advantage?
Yes, ISO 45001 provides organisations with a framework to improve their occupational health and safety performance and demonstrate their commitment to health and safety to customers, employees, and other stakeholders.
BUREAU VERITAS - EXPERTS IN ISO 45001 Certification
The ISO 45001 standard provides a framework through which you can demonstrate compliance, meet legal requirements and even reduce insurance premiums. With an experienced team of certification specialists, Bureau Veritas supports organisations like yours to achieve and maintain the globally recognised standard.
- Established and proven approach to certification, with full accreditation from relevant bodies including more than 40 national and international accreditation bodies across the world
- Support from a global leader with more than 150,000 active ISO certificates and 7,400+ skilled auditors worldwide
- Complete peace of mind from an impartial, independent third-party
- Large range of customised certification and audit services covering quality, health, safety, sustainability and environmental
- Unique partnership approach to drive efficiency and improve the effectiveness of our service
- Wide range of training courses to help implement and maintain an ISO 45001 occupational health and safety management system
View also our ISO 9001 environmental quality management system and ISO 45001 health and safety management system
Alternative quality management system services:
Head of Health & Safety
With workplace health and safety of utmost importance to us, we were keen to make sure our management systems were updated to meet the stringent requirements of ISO 45001:2018 and further strengthen our ‘Fujitsu Way’ ethical culture. I’d like to thank Bureau Veritas for providing the expertise required to achieve this – the certification team provided a great service that resulted in a smooth transition to certification.